Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Upside of Irritation

Thanks to Sizzle's reference to Daily Om, I decided to check it out for myself. Not only do I receive a daily horoscope, but I've also subscribed to the Daily Om newsletter which provides articles on living a more spiritual/enlightened life.

It's making me think, something that doesn't usually happen with a daily e-newsletter.

I've already told you, I'm irritated easily. I like control, and having control over my surroundings. Most of the time, my irritation stems from being completely unable to control the environment (such as people talking during a movie or my roommates leaving three days' worth of dirty dishes in the sink). Today's article "The Upside of Irritation" reminds us that desiring such control is egotistical (duh). However, learning from irritation and building one's patience is necessary for spiritual development.

"The more we try to eliminate annoyances, instead of learning to handle them gracefully, the further we get from developing the qualities that come with spiritual growth, such as patience, tolerance, and acceptance."
I'm going to make the best of those daily annoyances whether they are at work, on the bus, in my apartment, or in the Starbucks line. I would like to think I can become more tolerant, more accepting of those people for whom I currently have little to no patience. This is the beginning of my journey on the path to spiritual enlightenment...I hope.

1 comment:

Sizzle said...

awesome! i am so glad you liked it enough to get it daily. it definitely makes me think too. :)