Friday, January 20, 2006

Shout Outs

Sometimes I like stuff so much I need to give it a shout out so that others can enjoy it as well. So I've decided to devote some blogging space to sharing my recommendations and new interests.

Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon - I saw the movie based on this book a few years ago and really enjoyed it. How could I not? Small, private college. English department. Students in love with professors (and vice versa). I decided to pick up the book, and I enjoyed it even more than the film. Chabon is heavy on details, which made it easy to see and understand the characters. The details weren't overwhelming, though. I noticed that each of the main characters had a specific article of clothing/accessory that they always wore. And I realized that this is true of people in real life. We all know someone who always wears the same jacket or carries the same bag everywhere they go. It becomes a defining aspect of their character, even though it's just clothing or shoes. Chabon also used some interesting, and beautiful, images to describe the most average observations. I recall one from the end of the story, when Grady (the main character) hears the radio coming from inside the car. He describes it as "the trickle of advertising" coming from the radio. This is the kind of stuff I always tried to get into my own stories. It's no surprise that this book inspired me to start writing again. After finishing Wonder Boys last night, I popped open my iBook and started writing, thinking about characters and images and all the things I learned in college. It felt so good.


Netflix - I subscribed to Netflix at the beginning of the year. I had been meaning to for months, and every time I received one of those "Free Trial!" postcards in the mail, I put it in my bag so I would log on at work. In December, I began filling out the application online, but didn't complete it until after the holidays. Why didn't I do this before? It's so convenient! I love convenient! I love movies! I hate Blockbuster! Netflix was made for me. I'm catching up on a number of films I've been meaning to see (old and new, foreign and classic and drama and comedy), as well as getting caught up on Nip/Tuck (I'm on the second disc of Season 1).

Project Runway - If you didn't already know, I am obsessed with this show. I don't watch a lot of TV, and I certainly don't do much reality programming. But each week I look forward to PR. Actually, as soon as the episode ends, I get impatient for the next one to air. The challenges are fun, the designers are unique and dedicated to their work, and the judges/hosts are so entertaining. I'm rooting for Chloe, Nick, and Daniel for the final three. And it's not too late to get into it - Bravo airs repeats multiple times during the week.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

The Scarlett said...

I'll have to read Wonder Boys. Saw the movie and thought it very good. It didn't occur to me to investigate the book.

Haven't done Netflix yet. I hate Blockbuster, too! But the damn Blockbuster is like three blocks away and is perfect for spur of the moment even though that is only in theory since they never have the movie I want. Ever.

I'm such a PR addict.