Sunday, September 11, 2005

It's only rock 'n roll

Does it seem wrong that a 62 year old man in tight pants and a little black t-shirt turns me on? That he can shake his hips, point his finger, and I start to swoon?

I am more in love with Mick Jagger today than yesterday.

Jill and I, along with thousands of other sweaty Stones fans, packed into Soldier Field last night for a show that blew me away. I've wanted to see the Rolling Stones for years, but never had the chance. It didn't matter that our seats were in the high-altitude section. I just wanted to see his face.

The setlist was great with only a few exceptions. Personally, I am not a fan of Keith Richards. On guitar, he is fantastic. On vocals, I'd rather hear a cat scream. So the two songs he performed were the dark spot of the show for me. There were a few new songs from "A Bigger Bang" which the majority of the crowd did not know. However, that didn't stop the excitement in the stadium. And I especially liked when a small portion of the stage moved along a track down the center of the field seats, ending at a platform in the middle of the field. It was a more intimate stage than the large, TV-screen and pyrotechnic stage where most of the show took place, and it was the perfect place to showcase songs like "Miss You", "Honky-Tonk Woman", "Jumpin Jack Flash", and "Satisfaction".

If given the opportunity, I would much rather see the Stones perform in a smaller venue such as they did a few years ago in Chicago. Given that they can command $100 ticket prices for nosebleed seats, however, I don't think it's too likely they'll quit the stadium tours. And one can only guess as to how much longer they'll be performing together.

No comments: