Wednesday, July 12, 2006

blue tuesday

it is a universal truth that tuesdays are the worst day of the week. mine started with rain after i grudgingly dragged myself out of bed to go to the gym. i haven't been sleeping much lately and i was exhausted. but i still managed to get myself going this morning only to step outside into nasty, drippy rain. at least the train pulled in just as i got down to the platform.

my workday actually went well; no snags to speak of. i really felt great about the entire day until i heard from a coworker that the blue line wasn't working. there had been some sort of fire on the tracks. what started as a bit of a pain turned into a major annoyance when it took me 1.5 hours to get home. first i waited for the bus that is an alternate way of getting to my hood. i joined about 50 other people on the curb, all with the same idea. unfortunately, there were no buses coming. at least not the route we wanted. you would think the cta would dispatch more buses along that route since it is being considered an alternate to the train, but no......

fed up with waiting, i considered just trying to get a cab. i only had about $2 in my wallet so i stopped at a walgreen's for some cash. that's when i found the shuttle pickup. it was taking cta customers to the damen stop on the blue line. perfect! i weaved in between people until i managed to get a spot standing in the aisle hovering over an old man. i turned up the sound on my ipod to drown out the voices around me and tried to not think about how awful this was. it could be worse, right? i could have been on the train that derailed.

eventually, i made it home. a little irritated, sort of tired, ready for a drink. both of my parents called me after seeing the story on the news, just making sure i was okay. and A called too because he heard about it and thought of me.

more on that later....

No comments: